Dhanteras 2023, also known as Dhanatrayodashi, is a Hindu festival that heralds the onset of Diwali, the festival of lights. It’s a day dedicated to wealth, prosperity, and well-being. It is celebrated on the first day of 5 Days of Diwali. It commemorates the day Goddess Lakshmi emerged from the ocean of milk during the churning of the Milky Sea, and the birth of Dhanvantari, the physician to the gods.
This year, Dhanatrayodashi falls on Friday, November 10th.
Dhanteras rituals and traditions
Customs include purchasing metals, lighting diyas, and performing pujas to honor Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Kubera. However, Lakshmi Puja on Amavasya after two days of Dhantrayodashi is considered more significant. Lakshmi Puja on Dhanteras or Dhantrayodashi should be done during Pradosh Kaal which starts after sunset and approximately lasts for 2 hours and 24 minutes.
Things to do on the occasion of Dhanteras
- Cleanse Your Home: Start with a thorough cleaning to welcome Goddess Lakshmi.
- Buy New Utensils or Metals: Purchase new kitchenware or items made of precious metals like gold or silver to invite good fortune.
- Perform Lakshmi Puja: Conduct a puja in the evening during the auspicious muhurat to honor Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Kubera.
- Light Diyas: Illuminate your home with earthen lamps to drive away darkness and bring in light.
- Decorate With Rangoli: Create colorful rangolis at the entrance of your home to attract positive energies.
- Prepare Traditional Sweets: Cook and share sweets as a mark of celebration and joy.
- Yama Deepam: Light a lamp for Lord Yama to ensure health and longevity.
- Donate: Give away old items and donate to the needy as a gesture of goodwill.
- Invest: Make financial investments or open new savings accounts for prosperity.
- Prepare for Diwali: Begin preparations for the upcoming Diwali festival, such as buying fireworks and decorating materials.
- Pray for Health: Offer prayers to Dhanvantari, the god of Ayurveda, for good health.
- Gather with Family: Use this opportunity for family bonding and togetherness.
- Worship Cattle: In agrarian communities, offer respect to cattle, which are a source of wealth and prosperity.
- Set Intentions: Reflect on your goals for wealth and health for the coming year.
- Share Gifts: Exchange gifts with loved ones to spread the spirit of Dhanteras. If you wanted to give a special, modern yet traditional gift to your loved ones, you can consider our The Indian Puja Box
Let the lights of Dhanteras bring in a sparkling future and banish all the darkness from your life. Have a joyous and prosperous Dhana Trayodashi.